The grosse messer was a German blade designed to take the place of the sword as a side-arm. They were used by both nobles and commoners alike, although This Messer Sword with Scabbard and Belt certainly has the look of a weapon fit for noble hands. This hardy weapon is more like a greatly oversized knife than a sword, its wickedly curved blade reminiscent of more modern bowie designs. The blade is forged entirely from dual hardened 5160 high carbon steel. Its single edge and curved design make it a brutally efficient cutter, while the sharpened false edge on the clipped point adds a second dimension to its cutting and stabbing abilities. The guard is modeled after the traditional form of most messer blades, featuring straight quillons with a single, clamshell side-guard that protects the wielders hand. The sword features a full length tang that is peened to the decorative pommel, while the hilt consists of two beautiful wood segments pinned and secured to the tang. Included with the short sword is a matching scabbard constructed from wood, wrapped in leather, and completed with an attached, interlaced sword belt for keeping the knife safe, secure, and at your side when not in use. The Messer Sword with Scabbard and Belt has more than earned its translated name of great knife, as this is a wide, battle-ready blade that certainly excels at cutting.
Please be aware that this sword is hand forged, and as such, its finish and its overall measurements can vary slightly from what is shown here. Also, be aware that this sword is made to be practical, tough, and hardy, and its finish, being hammered and hand forged, can sometimes feature marks from the forging process.
- Inspired by the design of the German grosse messer sword
- A fully functional and extremely hardy sword
- Steel is dual hardened to a Rockwell of 53
- Full-length, peened tang provides immense durability
- Includes a leather-wrapped wood scabbard and sword belt
- Blade is hand forged from 5160 high carbon steel
- Handle is made of high quality wood
- Wood scabbard is wrapped in leather
- Total Length: 29.5 Inches
- Blade Length: 21 Inches
- Blade Width (at base): 2.52 Inches
- Weight: 2 lbs. 9 oz.