The Black Prince Sword with Scabbard is an accurate reproduction of an artifact discovered in the mid-20th century, which was later identified by Ewart Oakeshott, an expert in medieval swords, as the blade of Prince Edward of Woodstock. Better known as The Black Prince, this English royal was well-known for his sometimes chivalrous behavior, as well as his never being crowned king despite being the eldest son of King Edward III. Like the original, this is a warriors sword, classified as a Type XVa, features a long, tapered blade with an acute point perfect for thrusting. Its length and strong edge allow the sword to deliver a strong cut. The blade is dual hardened and forged entirely in 5160 high carbon steel, and it also features a flattened diamond shape for strength, durability, and stiffness of blade. The guard, made of mild steel, has straight quillons with a dramatic and small up-curve near their tips, and the wheel pommel is adorned with a small cross emblem and helps balance the blades weight. The hilt features wood secured around the blades full-length tang. Leather wrapping creates a secure grip. A matching scabbard comes with the sword, crafted from wood and wrapped in black leather, ideal for safely storing the sword when not in use. Attach it to your own favorite sword belt, not included. Rugged and hardy, this Black Prince Sword with Scabbard is a fine battle-ready blade, one that will not flinch under heavy abuse, as well as a historic replica that allows you to feel the power of a real medieval blade right in your hands.
Please be aware that this sword is hand forged, and as such, its finish and its overall measurements can vary slightly from what is shown here. Also, be aware that this sword is made to be practical, tough, and hardy, and its finish, being hammered and hand forged, can sometimes feature marks from the forging process.
- A fully functional and extremely hardy sword
- Modeled after the sword used by Edward, the Black Prince
- Steel blade is dual hardened
- Full-length, peened tang provides immense durability
- Hilt is wrapped in leather for a solid grip
- Includes a leather-wrapped wood scabbard
- Blade is hand forged from 5160 high carbon steel
- Grip and wood scabbard are wrapped in leather
- Check out our Sword Care and Maintenance Guide for all kinds of info on how to take care of your sword and keep it in its best shape.