The Ulfberht Sword With Scabbard and belt is an impressive reincarnation of the near-mythical sword from Nordic legend. One of the most important swords in the study of medieval weapons, this innovative sword has come back to life. Prior to the Ulfberht sword, all European swords were of the pattern welded variety. Soft iron bars were welded together with strips of steel, forged into a blade shape, then a steel edge was welded onto the sword. But the Ulfberht sword was a quantum leap in both technology and design. Good carbon steel blades became the standard. Both the design and the material used were massive improvements. The blade tapered more sharply to the point than did previous blades. This put the balance of the sword closer to the hand, creating a sword that was faster on both the stroke and recovery than previous blades. A fuller runs down the center of this blade, etched with the letters ULFBERHT. The wood grip is wrapped in leather, and the pommel is of the brazil nut shape that was popular at the time. This amazing historical sword comes with a scabbard and attached sword belt.
Please be aware that this sword is hand forged, and as such, its finish and its overall measurements can vary slightly from what is shown here. Also, be aware that this sword is made to be practical, tough, and hardy, and its finish, being hammered and hand forged, can sometimes feature marks from the forging process.
- Inspired by the historical Viking swords
- A fully functional Viking sword
- Steel is differential hardened at a Rockwell of 48-50
- Full-length, peened tang provides immense durability
- Wood grip wrapped with leather
- Includes a leather-wrapped wood scabbard
- Blade is hand forged from EN-45 spring steel
- Handle is oak wrapped in leather
- Scabbard is made of wood and wrapped in leather
- Overall Length: 36.0 Inches
- Blade Length: 30.0 Inches
- Blade Width (At Base): 2.0 Inches