Whaling was once an important industry across the world, providing large quantities of meat, oil, and bone. In this industry, no ship was as famous as the Charles W. Morgan, reproduced here as the Charles W. Morgan Model Ship. The original ship, launched in 1841, is the oldest surviving merchant vessel in the world. This model mimics the actual ship in build and form, all the way down to color. The individual planks that make up the hull, the populated deck, the metal anchors with rudder chains, and the heavy canvas sails make this model an item of almost peerless quality. As a long-sailing, hard-working New England whaling ship, the Charles Morgan holds a proud place in American maritime history. With the production of the Charles W. Morgan Model Ship, it makes a wonderful display piece for any office, home, or boat cabin.
- This is NOT a Kit - Comes Fully Assembled
- Handcrafted via the Plank-on-Frame Method of Construction
- Crafted from cherry, birch, maple, and rosewood
- Features Masterfully Stitched Canvas Sails
- Rests Perfectly on a Wooden Base Featuring Four Arched Dolphins (Marble Base Pictured Above)
- Model Made using Quality Resources, such as Drawings, Photographs, and Copies of the Plans of the Original Ship
- Includes Certificate of Authenticity
A Brief History of the Charles W. Morgan
In the 1840s, a Quaker whaling merchant named Charles W. Morgan ordered a whaleship from the shipbuilders Jethro and Zachariah Hillman of Massachusetts. Its maiden voyage began in 1841 when she sailed around Cape Horn and cruised the Pacific Ocean. She returned with 2,400 barrels of whale oil and 10,000 lbs. of baleen, which was worth around 56,000 USD. In her 80 years of service, she would make 37 voyages ranging in length from nine months to five years. The Charles W. Morgan, in total, brought home 54,483 barrels of whale oil and 152,934 pounds of whalebone.
On the night of June 30, 1924, the Charles W. Morgan caught fire when the flaming wreck of another steamer collided with it. Badly charred, the Morgan narrowly escaped destruction. In 1977, Morgan was designated a National Historic Landmark. She is the oldest whaler and commercial vessel surviving in America.
- Overall Length: 32 Inches
- Overall Width: 9 Inches
- Overall Height: 25 Inches
- Overall Scale: 1:42
first to write a review.
- If all items on your order are in stock, your order will ship the same or next business day.
- Express orders must be placed before 3 p.m. CST to ensure same day shipment (all items must be in stock as well).
- You have the option to guarantee same day shipping if your order is processed after 3 p.m. CST, there will be a $10.00 rush fee.
- If one or more of the items on your order are out of stock, your order may not ship right away.
- You are only charged for one shipment per order, therefore we generally ship orders together, once all items are in stock.
- You may arrange to receive multiple shipments by selecting so during checkout or by contacting our customer service.
- To see if your items are in stock or out of stock, simply view the availability shown under the Price.
- Orders are shipped Monday-Friday.
- Domestic orders are shipped via UPS.
- International orders have the choice of USPS or UPS.
- International orders may be subject to additional fees (customs and brokerage) due at the time of delivery collected by the delivery company.
- Please check for emails from us. We may contact you by email regarding your order. We will also send your packing slip with tracking information by email once your order ships.
- Most shipments do not require a signature. Shipments over $500 may be subject to requiring a signature.
- Orders are delivered Monday-Friday. To arrange a Saturday delivery please contact our customer service department before ordering as this option has an additional cost and cannot be purchased through our online shopping cart.
- Once your package is delivered, please inspect your order to ensure you are satisfied with your purchase. If you are not completely satisfied, please contact so we can quickly correct any issues.
Returns and Exchanges:
- We have a 1 year return policy.
- Items must be in their original condition to be returned.
- We cannot accept worn, washed, used, or damaged items.
- You can return items and get a refund, do an immediate exchange, or get store credit for a future order.
- Please note you are responsible for all shipping fees incurred with returns and exchanges.
- To read our full return policy please click here: Returns and Exchanges