Charles W. Morgan Model Ship

SKU: 08-A2003
Out of Stock. Estimated to ship in 2-3 weeks. [?]

In Stock: Means this item is available and in stock at our warehouse.

Out of Stock: Means this item can be ordered today and is estimated to ship after the time shown.

Price:  $475.00 

Add Gift Wrapping for $10.00?

Quantity:  

Whaling was once an important industry across the world, proving large quantities of meat, oil, and bone to suppliers; in this industry, no ship was as famous as the Charles W. Morgan, reproduced here as the Charles W. Morgan Model Ship. The original ship, launched in 1841, is famous not necessarily because it was extraordinarily successful or for any sort of rare occurrence, but rather because of its longevity: the Charles W. Morgan whale ship is the worlds oldest surviving merchant vessel. This model beautiful in construction; it mimics the actual ship, which sits in dry-dock in Mystic, Connecticut, from build and form all the way down to color. And as a fully-assembled, hand-built model, its a top-quality item that makes for a perfect piece of nautical dcor. Each and every detail, from the individual planks that make up the hull to the detailed, populated deck makes this model an item of almost peerless quality. As a long-sailing, hard-working New England whaling ship, the Charles Morgan holds a proud place in American maritime history; now, with the production of the Charles W. Morgan Model Ship, it can continue to convey the hard-working ethic and success while displayed in any office, home, or boat cabin.

Key Features

  • This is NOT a Model Ship Kit - Comes Fully Assembled
  • Hand-Crafted via the Plank-on-Frame Method of Construction
  • Made from High-Quality Woods
  • Features Masterfully Stitched Canvas Sails
  • Rests Perfectly on a Wooden Base Featuring Four Arched Dolphins (Marble Base Pictured Above)
  • Model Made using Quality Resources, such as Drawings, Photographs, and Copies of the Plans of the Original Ship
  • Includes Certificate of Authenticity


  • Measurements

  • Overall Length: 32 Inches
  • Overall Width: 9 Inches
  • Overall Height: 25 Inches
  • Overall Scale: 1:42


  • A Brief History of the Charles W. Morgan

    In the 1840s, a Quaker whaling merchant named Charles W. Morgan ordered a whaleship from the shipbuilders Jethro and Zachariah Hillman of New Bedford, Massachusetts. The hull and deck of Morgan reflected the industry which she was built to serve. A typical whaleship has three functions: 1. to serve as a mother ship to a fleet of small whaleboats, which are stored on the davits when not in use; 2. to serve as a factory and a refinery ship with tryworks for extracting oil from the whale blubber; 3. to serve as oil tankers. In these three functions, the Charles W. Morgan succeeded.

    Morgan's maiden voyage began on September 6, 1841. She sailed around Cape Horn and cruised the Pacific Ocean. Following Morgan's three year and four month voyage, she came home with 2,400 barrels of whale oil and 10,000 lbs of whalebone, known as baleen, which was worth around USD$56,000.

    In her 80 years of service, she would make 37 voyages ranging in length from nine months to five years. The Charles W. Morgan, in total, brought home 54,483 barrels of whale oil and 152,934 pounds of whalebone. She sailed in the Indian and South Atlantic Oceans, surviving ice and snow storms. Her crew survived a cannibal attack in the South Pacific. Between 1888 and 1904 she was based in San Francisco.

    On the night of June 30, 1924, the Charles W. Morgan caught fire when the flaming wreck of the steamer Sankaty, which had drifted across the Achushnet River from New Bedford harbor in flames, collided with it. Badly charred, the Morgan narrowly escaped destruction.

    The whaling days came to an end with the perfection of refining petroleum. The Morgan was under the care of Whaling Enshrined, Inc. until 1941, when she was transferred to Mystic Seaport, where she still stands to this day.

    The Charles W. Morgan arrived at Mystic Seaport in December of 1941, narrowly avoiding destruction during WWII. A major restoration and preservation project was begun in 1968. In 19